On Tuesday I went to the local market on my lunch break and ended up buying lots of very ripe strawberries - how anyone can walk by 2 large punnets for a £1 is beyond me! This however has lead to strawberries that rapidly need using up. I haven't baked in a little while so I thought I would bake a yummy strawberry cake. Although I wanted to make it little bit more special and my answer to that is add a crumble topping - everything is better with a crumble on top!
So here is the very simple recipe!
Strawberry Crumble Cake
For the Cake:
100g Dark Brown Soft Sugar
150g Plain Flour
1 tbsp Baking Powder
2 Large Eggs
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
Zest of Half a Lemon
8-10 Strawberries roughly chopped
8-10 Strawberries Sliced
For the Crumble:
75g Plain Flour
65g Dark Brown Soft Sugar65g Porridge Oats
1. Preheat the oven to 180oC.
2. For the sponge, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the flour, cornflour and baking powder. Add the eggs a bit at a time and finally mix in the cinnamon, lemon zest and chopped strawberries.
3. Pour the mixture into a greased 23cm springform cake tin and spread evenly.
4. Top the sponge mixture with the sliced strawberries.
5. For the crumble combine the flour, butter, sugar and oats and rub together till it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Sprinkly over the strawberries.
6. Bake 40-45 minutes.
7. Once cooked allow to cool in the tin on a wire rack.